Saturday, December 1, 2012

Joy to you in this December Month!

It's Merry December, a time to celebrate each morning as a gift... may you all have a spiritually full Christmas season!

I love the preparation for Christmas more than the actual day...people seem more open to thinking of others, and take efforts to create a little magic- just look around at the lights and decorations.  Christmas  doesn't have to be commercialized...it depends on how YOU celebrate it in your heart.

Today, I hope to go to the local senior citizen's craft bazaar at a local church, and make snow flake cookies later this afternoon.

Recipe for Snow Flakes

Uses a cookie press (Mirro cooky press)
Bake time:12-15 min
Temperature: 350ºF
Yield- 6 dozen

1 cup shortening
3 ounces of cream cheese (the secret ingredient)
1 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon grated orange rind (the other secret ingredient!)
2 1/2cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

*Cream shortening, cream cheese and sugar.
*Beat in egg yolk, vanilla and grated orange rind.
*Gradually, blend in flour, salt and cinnamon.
*Fill cookie press. Form cookies on ungreased cookie sheet.
*Add decorations- colored sugar, sprinkles, etc.
*Bake at 350ºF for about 12 minutes.
*Remove from trays onto cooling rakes.

2 comments:

Linda Reeder said...

Orange or lemon rind makes everything non-chocolate better!
I did go to a craft bazaar, and I donated to a toy drive. I made cookie dough that is chillin' to be formed this evening. But in between, I went to a funeral. Not fun, but inspirational, a celebration of life for a woman who I worked with who cancer took way too early. Makes me think about my own legacy. Her's was amazing.

DeVona said...

Thank you for your thoughtful comment! I truly enjoy your blog. We, too, have a funeral to attend...my husband's Mom passed away on Thursday in hospice care. Even though expected, it's still an emotional time for our family, but good stories have been shared, and great memories have been revived as my husband is selecting photos to display at the calling hours tomorrow ( funeral Monday). It also catapults my husband into the position of family elder, which takes time getting used to ...